Monday 22 September 2014

Ireland... the love of my life.

Okay, so this post is a little late seeing as it's September and I went to Ireland back in May.. but I figure better late than never! I decided to go to Ireland last year because I have always wanted to go Europe and Ireland was at the top of my list for some unknown reason. I went with one of my good friends Brittany (find her here) and I was quite excited.

We decided to stay two weeks in Dublin so we could become familiar with the city and know our way around. Some people thought this was a bit too long to stay in one city but it was actually quite perfect. Nothing was rushed and we got to explore the city so much. We figured we should do a couple day trips to get to see more of Ireland than just Dublin. I am so happy we decided to do that because the places/cities we travelled to were absolutely beautiful. We decided to stay in a hostel but we chose to do a private room because we weren't keen on sharing a room with people for two weeks.

Outside of Isaacs Hostel 

For the first week we chose to explore the city and check out the different restaurants and pubs and sites to see. We saw the Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, the infamous Temple bar, Trinity College, etc. We also decided to do a Pub Crawl, which we ended up liking so much we did it another two times during our stay! Here are some photos:

 Trinity College 

 Inside the Dublin Castle 

 Christ Church Cathedral 

 the BEST spaghetti carbonara I've ever had

Two musicians playing some songs during the Pub Crawl

The two day trips we decided to do were the Cliffs of Moher and Kilkenny & Wicklow day tour. Both of them were simply amazing and so beautiful. The Kilkenny & Wicklow day tour was breathtaking. We got to take a walk down to a beautiful lake where the fog made it look like we were in a fairytale, well actually the whole time we were in Wicklow I felt like I was in a fairytale. We walked through a forest and explored an old graveyard with lots of history and some very ancient buildings/churches that had been sitting there for hundreds of years decaying. 

 Wicklow Mountains 

 Walking through the forest




 the Graveyard and some remains of buildings/towers

Kilkenny Castle 

The Cliffs of Moher was just as magical and was totally worth getting up at 6am. I could just sit on the cliffs all day looking out into the sea, its truly breathtaking. As well as going to the cliffs, we went to Galway which is one of Ireland's other big cities. I fell in love with Galway instantly, the vibe I got there was unreal and I remember saying "I'm going to move here in a couple years" after walking around it for a few minutes. We got told lots of cool stories about the history of the city and then we got to walk around ourselves and found a nice pub to have some late lunch it. It was so amazing and I would recommend anyone who is going to Ireland to go to the Cliffs and Galway. 

Cliffs of Moher


the oldest street in Galway

Among other things we did, we also did the tour of the Guinness factory which I thought was really cool, I mean can you go to Ireland and not do the Guinness Storehouse tour? 



 Taking advantage of the free pint of Guinness you get at the end of the tour


Overall the trip was extremely satisfying and I am so happy I chose to go to Ireland and explore for a couple weeks. I know sometimes travelling is a bit difficult with money, especially going all the way to anywhere in the U.K or Ireland or Europe from Canada.. but I promise you, it is worth it to save up the money and go! I plan on exploring as much as that part of the world as I can because for some reason, it is just so intriguing. Below are just some random photos from the trip:

 St. Stephans Green Park

 The Pub Crawl with Brittany 


 An amazing place for tea and treats: Queen of Tarts 




Some friends I met during the trip


No comments:

Post a Comment